Become a Wiring Warrior


Building a Better Brain

 

‘Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’

If I had been born ten years earlier I would be dead. I am eternally grateful that I live in a time of great neurological research; I have used the knowledge of that research fully on myself over the past five years. Now I want share my findings with as many people as I can because research alone is not enough; neither is awareness and knowledge. I have become a ‘wiring warrior’ because hope, belief and practice are the keys to using this knowledge to build us all a better brain. I use the term warrior metaphorically. I am not fighting physically but figuratively; like the idea of the spiritual warrior portrayed in Star Wars.

In the process, I am adding another human story to that of great body of scientific research that seems to be so technical and unreachable to the ordinary person. I follow in the footsteps of Jill Bolte–Taylor and Barbara Arrowsmith- Young who have told their personal stories and inspired me to share my own experiences. I am writing a book – a couple actually. I am doing speeches, regularly. I am organising workshops to help develop other wiring warriors to travel together on this important journey.

On my own journey over the past few years I have realised that ignorance of the brain and the potential for its development is a cost to society as well as to each of us as individuals. Today, most of us know far more about our smart phones than our brains and this has both an economic and a social cost.

Ask yourself, what if I could focus my mind more sharply and avoid distractions, work twice as quickly, have more ideas more often and control my emotions so that they don’t interfere with my success? What if I could access my intuitive mind regularly, remember things more easily and feel more satisfied? Also, what if I could insure against any sudden brain damage – like stroke or car accident and recover from that damage if it strikes? Would I like to protect my mind against dementia as I age so that I can continue to contribute and be relevant to society instead of becoming a burden to my family and cost to society?

 

Building a better brain is about achieving three things:

1.      Realising the full potential of your brain

2.     Protecting against unforeseen damage to make recovery easier and know how to rebuild after damage

3.     Building the connective strength which will combat physical aging and enable wisdom to develop naturally.

I believe I have attempted all three of these goals. I hope that most of you never have experience of number two, but many will. Most will know someone who needing help with damage and this book should help with that too.

In my case, experiencing damage was an important breakthrough. Many people have asked how I could carry on after experiencing so much bad luck. I don’t see bad luck at all – I see extraordinary good luck because I am now building a brighter brain and helping others to do the same; as a wiring warrior I am making the most of that good luck. Most importantly this experience has given me the chance to help others. I hope that you will, in turn, become a wiring warrior and be able to help others as well. I am set on a path of developing more warriors now. The tumour that didn’t kill me has certainly made me stronger.

Comments